Hi! I’m Matthew K. Miler and the author of this blog. I am a do-it-yourself (DIY) millennial investor. The purpose of this blog is to inform and inspire our generation to become confident and competent DIY investors. My blog posts are inspired by my new book on DIY 401(k) investing. Your millennial years are the best time to build your financial foundation as a DIY investor. My goal is to equip you with research-based objective information and my personal experience to help you go from a Millennial to a Millionaire. Follow me on Twitter @MatthewKMiller.
I have been a DIY Millennial investor since my first job out of college in 2010, when I promptly started to contribute 10-15% of my income to my employer-sponsored Roth 401(k). Since 2010 I’ve paid off my student loans, saved for emergencies and invested for retirement and more. I have built a net worth that is taking me well on my way to go from a Millennial to a Millionaire. My investment portfolio consists almost exclusively of a well-diversified mix of low-cost index mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
In this blog, I’ll take you through various starter topics, such as:
- How to build your DIY mentality and skills to achieve the competence to self-manage your money, and to save and invest for long-term wealth accumulation,
- How to create a budget and savings plan so that you can find areas you never knew before where you can find extra nickels and dimes to build an emergency savings account,
- How to manage and design tax-advantaged investment accounts, such as the 401(k) and IRA, to properly save and invest for a secure and comfortable retirement, and
- How to continue building your net worth through taxable accounts, such as brokerage accounts, to gain even more diversified exposure to domestic and world markets.
- New personal finance topics may arise as this blog develops.
I’m passionate about the combination of personal finance and writing, which led to the creation of my upcoming book and blog. I am the CEO and founder of DIY Millionaire, LLC and I live in Chicago, IL. I work in the financial services industry. I have a Bachelors of Arts, with High Distinction, in Economics, with a Business minor, from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
I am a member of the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education (AFCPE). I am the author of From Millennial to Millionaire: DIY 401(k) – 5 Do-It-Yourself Steps for the Digital Generation to Design and Manage their 401(k), available now on Amazon.